Life with Sam n Zack

Hear about life at 193 with my two little loves and Michy too....

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

How it went

I woke up and looked at the clock, it was 5:30! We needed to leave for the hospital at 5:40. I ran downstairs and saw Sue standing at the door, I opened it for her and she said, I've been here since 5:15 but everything looked so dark I didn't want to wake anyone. Hello, you knew we needed to be at the hospital at 6! Well, at least we weren't up at 3 worrying. We dressed and threw down a cup of coffee as fast as we could. When we were all ready to go, I took Isaac from his crib, he slept through the transfer into his car seat. Whew. There was no traffic on the way to the hospital except for the stray deer that was behind in keeping up with her family. Michy screamed as I was slamming on the brakes. A near miss but the boy was still asleep. We decide it's best that we transfer Isaac to the stroller and hope that he will transfer yet again. Slick hands Lo gets him into the stroller without a problem! We get into the hospital, register and go to the waiting room to be called. I meet a woman who is there with her son, they call the kid in but the woman was at the registration desk. She says to the kid honey will you let Aunt so and so take you in I'm registering your brother. She come to sit down and I say two in one day? She says actually three, her 6 year old triplets were all having their tonsils removed. She goes in shortly after and Michy and I debate whether all in one day is better or not. We are finally called in at about 7. The first nurse asks us a million questions. Of course the which one is the mom questions came up and although she was lovely to us, I could tell she was processing and processing. The anesthesiologist came to meet with us and asked us the same million questions, he was better with the two mom thing. He explained that they would be putting him under using a mask and that as long as he didn't need to be under for more then five minutes he wouldn't need an IV. AN IV, THAT WAS NEVER IN THE CARDS! Well we hoped that wouldn't happen! Then the doctor came, she didn't ask about the two mom thing, had I told her? Mich had never met her before, I had been the one to go to all three of the prior appointments. She explained that there was a 10% chance that this wouldn't be effective and that he'd need another procedure where they'd actually leave tubes coming out. Out of where, his eyes? His face? Don't ask we won't be in the 10%. She also goes on to say that he should be back to himself about an hour or two after but that he may bleed from the nose. Mich and I discuss how they tell you the bad stuff when it's too late. I change into the white suit that covers me from my neck to my feet in preparation for accompanying Isaac in to the operation room. The nurse come back to take the vital, temp in the ear, blood pressure, pulse and a listen to his chest. WOW, he didn't even wake up through that! Yet another nurse come, she is the one that will be with him from the time the surgery starts through recovery. She looks at me and says, I guess you're mom, well actually we both are. She asks those Sam questions and says that she'll be back in a few minutes. Now it's about 7:25 and she and the anesthesiologist come and tell me that I should carry Isaac to the operation room sleeping. I pick him up, we walk down a long hall, through two sets of doors and there we are. They try to put the mask on him while he is still sleeping on my shoulder but no go. I think that the pressure on them holding the mask on his face caused him to wake. So I had to put him onto the table. The nurse was holding his body while the anesthesiologist was holding the mask on his face. I stroked his face and told him that everything was going to be okay and that I loved him. I sang a bit of the wheels on the bus, which always makes him smile. He looked into my eyes, with a look that said why are they doing this to me but he quickly went limp. I'm crying about this now but I was strong for him then. I went back to where Mich was waiting, took out my white suit. We were told that we should wait in the waiting room and that the doctor would come out and let us know how everything went. So we nervously flipped through magazines for what felt like eternity, looking at the door every time it opened until finally 15 minutes later they called. Only one of us could go in so I went. He was crying inconsolable. So miserable. I held him, I rocked, I sang and he cried. He needed to drink glucose water and hold it down before they would let him have milk. They had been trying to give him a tiny bottle with a newborn nipple on it like the ones they give you went you first have a baby. Finally he calmed down and decided to drink some on the water. Once he finished about 4 ounces they let him have milk. They seems to make him happier. They took they monitor off his toe and let us peel off the 3 monitor pads that were left on his chest. We got him dressed and as soon as a let him walk a little he was SO much better. We got in the car and were home by 9:30. He was a little cranky but all in all there were no visible signs except for the three circles on his chest. It's been 4 days now and he still seems fine. I better schedule the follow up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home