Life with Sam n Zack

Hear about life at 193 with my two little loves and Michy too....

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I was Shabbat Mom

Friday I was Shabbat mom at Sam's class. Each Friday a different parent goes into the classroom, reads a story, attends Shabbat "services" and has snack, that you bring, in the classroom with the kids. During orientation at the beginning of the year Miss Meryl asked that the book we bring has some special meaning, not that they don't love hearing about Thomas or Princesses but on Shabbat especially they are looking for something more. Sam and I went to Barnes and Noble, one of his favorite stores, to get a copy of Todd Parr's The Family Book. We talked about what kind of snack we should bring, the notice said a healthy snack so we decided on strawberries, pineapple and cheese fish shapsters. We arrived at school and although you aren't supposed to get there until 9:15 and drop off is at 9, poor planning what are you supposed to do it those 15 minutes? I stayed in the classroom. Sam did tzadakah (charitable giving), they have a tzadasauraus, a dinosaur bank that the belly fills with the coins, where each kid takes turns putting their money in the bank. Then it was time for the class to sit on the carpet but not Sam and I. I got a big chair and Sam got a little chair in the front of the room. Then I read the book to the class. At the beginning Miss Meryl, Sam's teacher, told the class to zip it, lock and and give her the key. That was so cute, all the kids zipped their mouths, turned the key and then "tossed" it to her. Then all focus was on me, I read the book and the kids seems to enjoy it. At the end Sam and I told Miss Meryl that we had bought that copy for the classroom. She was so thankful. Then all of the kids went to get their kipots to wear to Shabbat. We went to the chapel and the Rabbi talked to the kids about how special this time of year is and how we have to say sorry for the things that we did in the past and that we should be thankful for other things. She asked the kids to turn to the person next to them and say they are sorry. Sam turned to me and said, Mom I'm really sorry. It was so sweet! I told him that I was sorry too. Then we talked about what we were thankful for and both Sam and his friend Jon told me they were thankful for Thomas. Then all the Shabbat mom's (there were 5 classes together in the chapel) were invited to the front for the prayers over wine, bread and we lit candles. Amazingly Sam knows all the prayers. After that we went back to the classroom for snack. Sam had to give out the challah, see photo above. He was instructed to ask each kid if they wanted any and then give them some. He was quite the host. He then helped me with the rest of the stuff. Strawberries and cheese were big hits, pineapple not as much. Then I asked if I could take a photo of his class, which prompted Sam to want to take a photo. Then the rest of his classmates wanted to take photos too, so I let each kid take a photo. Miss Meryl asked for copies of the photos and she made a collage for the class that she called our view of the class. It was all so very special, sweet and cute. At the end Sam thanked me so much for coming. Later at home he said that he didn't want me to be shabbat mom again because he didn't want me to let his friends use my camera or let them give me high fives. A little jealous, huh!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Casey said…

    Oh my! What a sweet, special little guy you have.

    The story of the morning made my heart swell with happiness. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home